Ireland Cycling Tours Made Easy
There’s something naturally exhilarating about self-powering through space on a bicycle and feeling the air sweep over your face. Cycling strikes such a perfect balance between challenge and a sense of accomplishment that it’s easy to fall into a state of serene meditation… And, who couldn’t use a little bliss right about now?
Exploring Ireland by bike fuses mobility, flexibility and connection – traveling fast enough to cover more ground than walking, yet slow enough to take in the sights and sounds of passing nature, friendly locals, stone walls and epic landscapes.
Ireland hosts some of the best cycling routes on the planet and has a reputation as a “dreamland for cycling enthusiasts.” So, it’s no surprise that visitors come from near and far to experience Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way from the vantage of two wheels.
We love helping our travelers plan self-guided cycling tours! Our full in-country support, luggage transfers and hand-picked accommodations allow you to travel stress-free, with peace of mind knowing that all logistics are managed for you behind the scenes. This leaves you, the open road and your adventurous spirit to fully enjoy your Ireland cycling vacation!
Our Wild Atlantic Way Self-Guided Cycling Tours include:
- Ireland cycling specialist to help with planning and cycling packing list
- Pre-arranged nightly accommodations in ensuite room with breakfast
- Daily luggage transfer and 24-hour phone support
- Choice of Hybrid, Road or eBike – or bring your own!
- Personalised GPS phone app with maps and route notes
- Recommended points of interest and dining options
All of our cycling tours avoid busy roads and follow the most scenic routes. Here’s a closer look at two of our more popular cycle tours: Self-Guided Ring of Kerry Cycle and Self-Guided Beara Way Cycle. Though equally fantastic, there are some key differences to consider before choosing a self-guided cycling tour in Ireland.
DURATION 7 nights stay, 5/6 days cycles
PRICING From €775 per person
Considered one of the finest routes in the world, the Ring of Kerry abounds with natural wonders and beauty; the magnificent scenery is unsurpassed by any in Ireland. Discover breathtaking coastal vistas of the rugged west coast to inland valleys dotted with glistening lakes and the highest mountain range in Ireland as a backdrop. Immerse yourself in almost 10,000 years of dramatic history as you weave through picturesque mountain ranges, charming villages and peat bogs and past rugged cliffs, golden beaches and verdant pastures.
Is this the cycling tour for you?
- The Ring of Kerry cycle is best for novices, yet still physically challenging enough for moderate cyclists
- This route follows quiet country roads, so encounters less road traffic than the main Ring of Kerry route
- The towns and villages along the way are a little busier than those along the Beara Way
- Starts and finishes in the famous town of Killarney, which is accessible from all major international airports in Ireland
- Greatest ascent in a day: 679 meters
- Total distance covered: 275.5 km / 171 mi
DURATION 7 nights, 6 days cycle
PRICING From €735 per person
Revel in the unspoiled beauty of the Wild Atlantic Way while taking in the stunning scenery of West Cork. The Beara Peninsula offers spectacular panoramas dominated by mountains and sea. Few tourists reach this peninsula, making it a treasured destination for outdoor enthusiasts seeking a remote and relatively untouched landscape. Roads into the Beara mountains are scarce and impressive feats of engineering, such as dramatic Healy Pass, known for its series of hairpin turns. This adds to the charm (and challenge) of Beara, as well as a largely “tour bus free” area. On this adventure, pass through some of Ireland’s most charming coastal communities. Picturesque villages such as Eyeries and Allihies are renowned for their rows of brightly contrasting homes featuring every shade of the rainbow, welcoming visitors in a most colourful way.
Is this the cycling tour for you?
- The Beara Way is more challenging than the Ring of Kerry and best for more experienced cyclists
- This route offers a mix of coastal and inland cycling
- The Beara Way is relatively unexplored and less known to tourists than the Ring of Kerry; towns and villages are less busy and you encounter fewer people
- The natural scenery is more rugged with wild land and seascapes
- Greatest ascent in a day: 765 meters
- Total distance covered: 243 km / 151 mi
We know what a hassle travel documents can be. Which documents to have on hand, which documents to save in email. Then, there’s the notorious question “Now, where did I put that document that has our …” Now, with the introduction of our handy, well-organized Ireland cycling App, everything you need fits in the palm of your hand. A one-stop hub for all of your travel documents, available at the touch of a button – itinerary, lodging details, maps, places of interest and more. With our app, you’re ready to lead the way. Travel light, travel smart.
- Day-by-day itinerary including your accommodations and route maps
- Trip vouchers, confirmation details and trip route notes
- Points of interest to look out for and descriptions of each region visited
- Emergency Contact Information – the Emergency Services in Ireland and our 24-hour contact number
Self-Guided Ring of Kerry Cycle
“Ireland Walk Hike Bike (IWHB) arranged a wonderful cycling holiday for me, my father and two friends. The cycling routes around the Ring of Kerry minimized travel on busy roads. All the lodgings were at B&Bs or small hotels with friendly staff and excellent breakfast. They provided detailed cue sheets and a GPS app to provide turn by turn instructions. Navigating through the Irish countryside was easy.”