For the day that’s in it, (Maple Syrup Day), we decided to take this opportunity to share with you, the most delectable Irish recipe imaginable. Boxty.
If you have yet to try Boxty; we can tell you with absolute certainty, that your taste buds will host a celebratory party in your honour when you do.
So, what IS Boxty?
Boxty is a traditional Irish potato pancake. And yes! It is as good as it sounds.
So, without further ado, here is our Irish Boxty recipe!
500g of cold mashed potato
500g of grated RAW potato
3 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder (heaped)
A large knob of melted butter
Some salt & pepper
200 ml of milk (and some extra)
Some olive oil
How to make:
- Squeeze the grated raw potatoes through a towel to remove all liquid.
- Mix this in with the mashed potatoes
- In a clean, separate bowl, mix in the flour and the baking powder and add this in with your potatoes. Mix together well.
- Pour in your melted butter.
- Seasons well with salt and pepper.
- Add your milk. Add extra milk if needed – You want a heavy batter consistency.
- Set mixture aside.
- Heat a frying pan with some oil. The same amount as if you were making regular pancakes.
- Spoon the boxty mix into the hot oil.
- Fry for a few minutes on each side until they are golden and cooked through.
How to serve:
For the day that’s in it… we suggest you serve your Boxty topped with some bacon and maple syrup. But see below for some of our favourite alternative serving suggestions:
- Smoked Salmon & Sour Cream
- Bacon and sausages
- Topped with a fried egg
- Just butter (our favourite!)
And for the calorie conscious, Boxty can be used as a pizza base alternative! Did you know this? It is a recipe known throughout ‘Slimming World’ and is used as a low calorie alternative to a dough pizza base. Simply fry a larger boxty pancake. Place on a baking tray and remove excess grease; BAKE in the oven until crispy. Top with tomato puree or passata along with your pizza toppings of choice. Finish with low calorie grated cheese, pop back in the oven until cooked to your liking and voila!
We hope you liked our real Irish Boxty recipe this Maple Syrup Day. Given that Ireland is paradise for the foodie’s of the world, we thought we better share!
For enquiries on any of our tours, feel free to drop us an email. [email protected]!